What is Type 3 Diabetes?
Alzheimer’s disease isn’t something my family has encountered much, so it’s not something I’ve worried much about for my parents or myself as I age. That recently changed when I came across the term “Type 3 Diabetes” and discovered that only 5% of Alzheimer’s cases are directly related to an exact genetic link. The other 95% of cases are thought to be due to interactions among environment, lifestyle, and genetic factors. This means our health habits TODAY may really be key determinants in cognitive health when it comes to dementia and Alzheimer’s several decades from now.
“Type 3 Diabetes” is how some have started referring to Alzheimer’s disease because of the similarities in how Type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s develop. In both conditions, insulin-resistance and metabolic imbalances fuel progression. Alzheimer’s, however, is specific to the brain.
Check out my latest Cooking Light article - What is Type 3 Diabetes? - for more on Type 3 Diabetes, why it’s key to not wait for symptoms, and what you can do now to reduce risk of future dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.