Farmer's Market Friday : Grilled Sesame Garlic Broccolini
Some of biggest “wins” at getting my kids to eat healthy foods were not planned at all. They evolved naturally – or in this case, they evolved because I got to the Farmer’s Market late! This trip forced me to think beyond my usual list and to stock up on some veggies that I tend to forget about - like Broccolini.
Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale, but it’s got a milder flavor than the two veggies it originates from and is much more tender than broccoli – two characteristics that make it a good one to try on kids! It’s also packed with potassium, fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C.
So what was my unplanned “win” recipe for my kids? It's easy! I whisked together a simple sauce for the Broccolini, threw it on the grill for just a few minutes, and my kids LOVED it! See my recipe below, and give it a try! I hope it's a success in your kitchen too!
Grilled Sesame Garlic Broccolini
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- OPTIONAL : 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Wash and dry broccolini. Cut off the woody part of the stalks - about 1 inch off the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the broccolini to the bowl and mix to coat with the dressing.
- Cook the broccolini on a hot grill, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- OPTIONAL: Garnish with sesame seeds.