Farmer's Market Friday : Summer Corn & Black Bean Salad
Fresh corn always seems to find its way home with me when I go to the Farmer's Market. Its sweet crispness is obviously a big draw during summer, but let's not forget about the price. I recently bought FOUR ears of corn at my local Farmer's Market for only ONE dollar! You seriously can't beat the quality or cost in the summer.
In my opinion, it’s hard to beat corn-on-the-cob with just a touch of butter and salt, but I also like to look for ways to incorporate corn in to other dishes. Salads, dips, and salsas are natural places to add fresh corn kernels, and this Summer Corn & Black Bean Salad could really serve as all three.
You’ll love its simplicity, and, thanks to canned black beans, you've got yourself a complete protein, meaning you could eat this as a main dish and not worry about skimping on protein. Next to how easy it is to throw together, I love all the ways you can use this salad in addition to just serving it as is.
Here are some ways I’ve used it:
- An addition to lettuce wraps, tacos or tortillas
- A topping to a green salad (and my fav - sprinkled with a little feta or queso fresco!)
- Served as a dip with tortilla chips
- Spoon it over grilled chicken or fish
You will love the versatility of this Summer Corn & Black Bean Salad! Let me know how you end up using it at your house!
Summer Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed
- 2 fresh ears of corn (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- ⅔ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- OPTIONAL: 4 tablespoons queso fresco
- Cut corn off the cob and place into large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients into the same bowl, stirring gently until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.