Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups
July in Alabama can make you not want to do much of anything - especially cook dinner over a hot stove! In fact, I’ve really been struggling this past month with my cooking motivation, and my app for our local restaurant delivery service makes it a little too convenient to just skip out on the cooking all together.
Luckily, my bank account can’t sustain ordering-in forever, and I know the research: foods cooked at home are lower in calories, saturated fat, sodium and sugar. So I’ve been working to find some quick dinner recipes with minimal cooking, and these Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups are one that’s been a perfect solution. Here are a few reason I love these:
- One skillet and less than 20 minutes!!!
- Like PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps? These are a copycat version – just much healthier. They also work for my low-carb girlfriends.
- You can prepare filling ahead of time and reheat when ready to eat. You can also double or triple the recipe and freeze some to use later.
- Dinner wrapped in crisp lettuce is one of the few things (other than popsicles or cocktails) that sounds really good when it’s 100 degrees outside.
- They always get two thumbs up from the kids!
Let me know how you like them! Also, anyone else have trouble finding motivation for cooking in this heat?
NOTE: Preparation for the recipe can take longer to mince and chop everything by hand. I like to use my OXO Vegetable Chopper to speed up the process. Find it here : Williams-Sonoma, Amazon or Target.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups
These mouthwatering, low-carb Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups will likely have everyone coming back for seconds... and thirds until the last bite is gone! Bonus perk : you don't even have to feel bad about it! | Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped with whites and greens separated
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- In a small bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients. Wash and dry the leaves of the butter lettuce.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and diced onion. Cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add an additional 1 tablespoon oil to pan, along with ground chicken and about 3 tablespoons of prepared sauce. Brown the chicken, crumbling into small pieces with a spoon, for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan; set aside. Wipe inside of pan out.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add in the whites of the green onion, ginger and garlic. Cook for about 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add reserved chicken mixture and remaining sauce. Cook, stirring to combine, until warm throughout.
- Remove from heat, and stir in green parts of green onions. Spoon filling into the washed and dried lettuce leaves. Serve immediately.